Hi from SOTOGAB’s Recruitment Coordinator!

My name is Daniella Feijoo. I’m a Junior at Wake Forest studying Politics and International Affairs and Spanish, with a minor in Latin American Studies. I have had such a great time getting to know each of the rookie band members via email and social media! It is going to be an incredible year for WFU Bands!

With band camp coming up, here are a few tips to remember from your veteran band members:

• Bring lots and lots of sunscreen!
  • Bring sunglasses & a hat.
  • Bring a change (or 2) of socks and a pair of flipflops or sandals to change into when we are eating lunch/dinner or indoors for music rehearsal.
  • Try to bring a very large water bottle-one that can keep the water cool for a long time. Be sure to keep it inside your instrument case or in your bag so that its not exposed to the sun for long periods of time.
  • Eat healthy foods and be sure to eat BREAKFAST! The Kappa Zeta chapter of Kappa Kappa Psi, the honorary band service fraternity on campus, sets breakfast up at 8 am at Scales Fine Arts Center, so be sure to grab fruit, cereal and water.
  • ALWAYS have a pencil(s) with you to mark music and drill charts!
  • Stretch & warm-up! My personal favorite are jumping jacks (the trumpet section knows I like to do them before football games…haha).
  • Get to know all of the band members! We are all a big family, so use band camp to bond with new people (in and out of your section).
  • Make sure to bring a positive attitude and lots of school spirit! Sure it’s going to be really hot and the days will be long, but we always have a wonderful time learning music, drill and making new friends.

Carlo Ballesteros-Flores, Senior Drum Major and trumpet player says, “I’m most excited to be back with my friends cheering on the Deacs. As I’m sure you will get to know, I am very passionate about Wake, especially when it comes to sports. I can’t wait to be on campus and back on BB&T Field!” Our trumpet section leader and rising Junior at Wake, Carly Gordon, says it best with, “I’m most excited to represent the University at away football games and the ACC tournament and to support our teams. And as for tips for a successful band camp…be prepared to work hard and have a lot thrown at you! Have fun though and get to know everyone around you. Bond with your section! Bring sunscreen and a water bottle and use both liberally.”

Can’t wait to see you all on campus for band camp! GO DEACS!

Daniella Feijoo

Categories: News & Announcements